Sunday, April 5, 2009

Back to the Drawing Board



A new session has begun at the Creative Oasis where I draw, and I've decided to tackle the thorny issue of color. Colorology is a totally distinct, complex science. Sketching in monochrome is one thing, but adding color is a whole other issue. I've always been fascinated with color but never quite got it. In the next few weeks, I'll begin my journey to learn how to use it. The piece here was done in pastels (another medium I find intriguing but don't have a good handle on). I'm having a particular difficult time applying color to the skin, trying to avoid making it look too flat or too colorful (where it ends up looking like fabric instead of flesh). The monochrome one-line sketch was done at the end of the session to give my eyes a break (and restore some confidence and control:)). I did another black and white sketch, but my scanner pooped out on me. Anyway, there they are

No comments: