Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sussi e Biribissi

Ch.II, A Cat Worth a Fortune (Che vale un peru`)

Biribissi couldn't sleep that night.  He just tossed and turned, throwing a couple of nasty kicks from time to time into Buricchio wh was sleeping at the foot of the bed.

"Wait!  Who is Buricchio?"  I hear you saying now.

I'll tell you.  Biricchio is a big, fat tabby cat that would make your mouth water.  I say mouth water on purpose, because it happened more than once that he was almost taken for a jack-rabbit by a few resatuarants.  But Buricchio, like all good little beasties, enjoyed the protection of Saint Anthony and had gloriously escaped all danger.

Overall, Buricchio was not like other cats.  He had a cat's nose and paws.  A cat's fur and tail, but he was more well spoken than quite a few chaps I know personally.

I imagine you all smirking incredulously, saying: "My dear, nephew of Collodi, no beast has ever uttered a human word, so please refrain from telling us such stories."

Actually, no, my dearest little readers.  Despite the fact that certain ideas may pass through my brain, I only want the best for you as if you were my only little brothers.  I swear to you all that Buricchio could speak, and with such good judgement, that he would have made many of you jealous.  And during such fortunate times as Sussi and Biribissi had, animals talked like people, while people nowadays, I lie not, often speak just like animals.  The effects of progress.

I told you all that Biribissi couldn't sleep that night, but threw a few kicks every now and agian into the side of our poor tabby curled up at his feet.

Buricchio finally lost his patience.

--Master Biribissi!  Could you please keep still for just a moment?
--I can't sleep--he responded.
--I am sorry for that, but could you please leave me in peace for a moment.
--Yeah, that's easy to say when you don't have a hole in your head.

Burcicchio was stumped.

--A hole in my head?  Is that what you have?
--Certainly.
--Who gave it to you?
--What?
--The hole.
--I told you you wouldn't understand.
--How is one to understand when you speak like an oracle?

Biribissi sat on the bed and lit a candle.

--Tell me, Buricchio, do you know what a zenith and a nadir are?
--Buricchio smiled with satisfaction.
--Of course I do--he answered.
--Well, let's hear it...

No comments: